Government Action Program Summary
September 10, 2018
Tom Konis from the Spokane County Assessor’s office came to our September 10th Government Action Committee meeting to discuss the McCleary Decision and the county-wide increases in property valuations and, in turn, valuations.
Here are some statistics that were presented to the Committee:
- $39,000,000 in additional revenue from property tax will be allocated to education funding in Spokane County, and $128,000,000 across the state.
- 6.7% increase in property tax revenue generated in the City of Spokane Valley over the last 6 years.
- $127,000,000 in new construction this year, with $49,000,000 left to be completed.
- $86,000,000 of new construction already set for 2019.
- Reduction in M&O taxes for Spokane Valley school districts and their levy rates since property taxes are increasing.
We also heard a presentation from Superintendent Kelly Shea, from the East Valley School District. He talked about EVSD’s Capital Improvements Levy that will be featuring on the ballot in November. This is a two-year, $13,064,000 levy that will be collected in 2019 and 2020. The district, if the levy passes, would use the funds to make infrastructure, safety, and security improvements. They would also work to relocate the East Valley High School baseball and softball fields because some of that property will be lost to the County’s Bigelow Gulch-Forker Rd. improvement project and the City of Spokane Valley’s Wellesley-Sullivan roundabout project.